50 E. Huron Street
|Telephone: +1 312-280-3201
Fax: +1 312-280-4392
The mission of the International Relations Office (IRO) is to increase 同乐城88网址's presence in the global library community, to implement ALA policies concerning international librarianship, to promote greater understanding of international librarianship and international library issues within ALA, and to manage international library activities on behalf of the ALA. More...
Initiatives, Projects & Highlights
ALA 2015 International Strategic Plan (PDF File) (Word File)
Adopted by the International Relations Committee (IRC) and the International Relations Round Table (IRRT) during ALA's Annual Conference in New Orleans.
IRRT Free Links Project
An Emerging Leaders Project providing access to free professional development opportunities for ALA members around the world.
Subscribe to International AL Direct!
International AL Direct focuses on ALA’s international members and those interested in international issues and trends, featuring news about libraries and librarians around the world.
International Relations Committee (Standing, Council) - IRC sets ALA priorities in the international area, promoting a global exchange of ideas, knowledge, personnel, and literature. Committee members represent Africa, East Asia and the Pacific, Eurasia and Central Asia, Near East and South Asia, Europe and the Americas.
International Relations Round Table - IRRT is your link to ALA. Round table members organize international programs for ALA Conferences, sponsors international discussion lists, match sister libraries, and produce the quarterly International Leads newsletter.
International Events & Meetings
ALA-FIL Free Pass Program - ALA and the Guadalajara International Book Fair are partnering for the 19th year to provide support for ALA members to attend the 32nd Guadalajara International Book Fair (FIL) from November 24 - December 2, 2018. For a list of exhibitors at the book fair, please visit the Guadalajara Book Fair site.
IFLA's 85th Annual Conference - The 85th IFLA General Conference and Assembly, will take place in Athens, Greece, August 24-30, 2019. The ALA membership number to use for your IFLA Conference registration is US-0002.
- International Associations and Organizations - List of library associations around the world.
- IFLA Website - The International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions is the leading international body representing the interests of library and information services and their users. It is the global voice of the library and information profession.
- International Donations & Shipment of Books - If you are interested in donating books to countries overseas, there are several organizations that distribute books to other countries.
- Campaign for the World's Libraries - The Campaign for the World's Libraries is a public education campaign of the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions, the American Library Association and libraries around the world to speak loudly and clearly about the value of libraries and librarians in the 21st century. It is designed to showcase the unique and vital roles played by public, school, academic and special libraries worldwide. Join today!
ALA International Resolutions
International Resolutions - The American Library Association deplores the destruction of libraries, library collections and property, and the disruption of the educational process by that act, whether it be done by individuals or groups of individuals and whether it be in the name of honest dissent, the desire to control or limit thought or ideas, or for any other purpose. (ALA Policy 53.7 Intellectual Freedom- Destruction of Libraries)
ALA has replaced the old Online Communities service with ALA Connect, offers a virtual, collaborative, workspace online. Any member can create new communities (unofficial ALA groups) without any staff assistance, so the site will combine association work with communities of interest in one place. Learn more about ALA Connect.
Wikis (following pages will open in a new window)
- International Relations Round Table (IRRT) - This wiki is one tool that seems ideally suited to help the Executive Board and committee chairs share ideas, draft documents and collaborate without endless email exchanges. It is hoped that as members edit documents they will find this wiki a valuable forum where all can participate in a collegial atmosphere.
- Sister Libraries Initiative - To promote the concept of a global community of libraries, the American Library Association (ALA) is encouraging U.S. libraries to form partnerships with libraries in other countries.
International Discussion Lists - List of international discussion groups and listservs.
ALAWorld (IRRT) - The purpose of the ALAWorld Listserv is to foster international cooperation and understanding between libraries by providing a forum for sharing news, including educational and exchange opportunities, about libraries around the world and international entities affecting libraries.
- Subscribe or unsubscribe at the listserv webpage: http://lists.ala.org/sympa/info/alaworld
SYMPA-ALA Mailing List Service - This server provides you access to ALA's mailing lists. You can perform subscription options, archives, and list management. (First time users will need to get a password)
Weblogs and pictures
IRRTBlogspot - Engage, Communicate, Participate!
Flickr - Take a look at some of the pictures that our members have taken throughout the years, including the International Librarians Reception and the presentation of the ALA Presidential Innovative Awards.
Tel: 312.280.3200 / 800.545.2433, ext. 3200
Tel: 312.280.3201 / 800.545.2433, ext. 3201